We invite our members to explore our various WIC-related webinars through our Online Community. To access the online community, log-in to your account and click "Go To The Online Community".
We offer webinars most Thursdays at 3:00pm ET (unless otherwise noted) and they last one hour. See below for a schedule of upcoming webinars. Webinar archives are available to NWA members only. If you are a member, please log-in to your NWA account on www.nwica.org > go to “My Account” > “Go to Online Community” > “Webinar Archives,” which be located on the left menu bar.
- Let’s Dig It: How WIC Gardens Turn The Participant Experience Inside Out Transforming Nutrition Education, Building Communities, And Reclaiming Healthy Behaviors webinar on October 10th, at 3:00 pm ET. Looking to engage participants in nutrition education? Want to attract new WIC clients and build community? How can participants access more fresh fruits and vegetables? The answer is: garden, garden, garden! While WIC and fresh fruit and vegetable gardens are a natural pairing sometimes the process to start a garden is not clear and sometimes hard to sustain. This session will provide tools to agencies considering starting and sustaining a garden and discuss benefits of WIC gardens. We will examine existing gardens that are recently started, well-established, or somewhere in between from across the U.S. as real live WIC garden case studies. So get ready to 'dig in!'
- TeleWIC: Providing Services in New Ways webinar on Thursday, October 17 at 3:00 pm ET. Use of videoconferencing to provide WIC services is of growing interest as a way to better meet participants' needs and expectations. There is much to learn about the technology, training staff and participants to connect via videoconference, and the many different configurations local agencies can consider. We will hear from two agencies serving frontier and rural areas of California about their learning process and their advice for other agencies considering, or in the process of, adopting the technology.
- Exploring New Opportunities for Co-Location in Hospitals and Health Centers webinar on Thursday, October 24 at 3:00 pm ET. WIC plays a vital role in the continuum of care in hospitals and community health centers. A physical presence of WIC staff, on-site, where patients are receiving care, can be a strategy for outreach, enrollment and retention for WIC, and also elevate and demonstrate the value of WIC staff as knowledgeable members of the healthcare team. We will hear about the positive experiences of co-locating WIC staff bedside in a hospital birthing center and between pediatrics and women's health in a community health center.
- Challenges and Strategies for Retaining and Developing the WIC Workforce webinar on Thursday, October 31 at 3:00 pm ET. After years of relative stability, much is in play for the WIC workforce, and will be, for the coming years. Masters requirements for RDs, student debt, and competing salaries are challenges. Public health providers are looking at the important role of nutrition experts in the healthcare setting to address prevention and treatment of nutrition-related chronic disease and improving food insecurity, a social determinant of health. WIC nutrition staff are expressing interest in opportunities for diversification of their nutrition care practice in WIC and public health. We will hear of the long term work in California to maintain a culturally competent and diverse workforce, including dietetic internships, RD exam preparation, and grad school counseling. NWA supports a national task force to address workforce recruitment and retention will provide updates from the national view.
- Improving Program Linkages for WIC webinar on Thursday, November 21 at 3:00 pm ET. Applications for federal benefits programs are complicated and, in many ways, redundant. This is a frustrating and time-consuming process for eligible beneficiaries, but especially for young WIC participants who are expecting use of technology and streamlined business processes. In some agencies, linkages to participant health data expedites provision of WIC services, reduces barriers to participation, and enhances care. Improved linkages can strengthen targeted outreach and streamline counseling interactions. This webinar will provide examples of successful program linkages between federal programs and highlight recent findings among California WIC agencies related to data sharing and program linkages.
- Developmental Monitoring in WIC: A Simple Checklist Can Make a Big Difference for Families webinar on Thursday, December 5 at 3:00 pm ET. Want to engage families in their children's development? Interested in supporting families when there are concerns about their child's development? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "Learn the Signs. Act Early." program has free resources to help. Join this webinar to hear what CDC has to offer and how WIC programs have integrated CDC's simple milestone checklists into the WIC visit to make a BIG difference for families.
To attend these NWA webinars, you must register in advance. The links below take you directly to registration. Upon completing your registration, you will receive a confirmation email. If you don't see that email, please check your spam/junk mail folder. We strongly recommend you add email@example.com to your email safe senders list to be sure you get your confirmation and other important emails about the webinar.
Have a webinar idea? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.